Invest in Public Education
The product of public schools, Catalina has a vision for improving education.
The 39th Assembly District (Corona, Elmhurst, Jackson Heights) is one of the most diverse in the state and so are the needs of the children and families who live and go to school here. Our schools are amongst the most overcrowded in the city, affecting how the educational needs of our children are met. To truly provide our children with the resources they need and deserve, we first need to shift the focus towards equality for all in education, not just excellence for some.
• Demand that NYC receive all Foundation Aid still due to our schools, paid with interest, providing much needed funding to create additional seats and programs, and stopping the use of trailers for classrooms.
• End annual standardized tests that are used to close schools, punish teachers, and give bonuses to principals.
• Establish policies that enable comprehensive school integration like pooling PTA fundraising for all schools and stopping the expansion of charters.
• Expand dual language bilingual programs in schools throughout the city and state.
• Increase funding for STEM Programs and Tech upgrades at schools in our community.
• Prioritize the health and well-being of children by ensuring compliance with already mandated access to physical education, recess, and choice time; providing comprehensive sex education for children from an early age; and ensuring food justice for all children in public schools by providing healthy and culturally sensitive meals (halal, kosher, vegetarian, etc).